Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Fargo Flood






This is drain #27. at one point it is only 2 blocks from where we live. This drain is used for overflow from heavy rains or winter melt. It usually only has either no water in it or just a trickle. As you can see it is now full. The other pictures that you see are the workers building a dike around it to contain it. This is really getting close to home now.

Today I went out and tried to get pictures of the Wild Rice River. Could not make it. Roads trecherous with ice and snow. On my partial way out there. Discovered that they are building dikes on I-29 right on the edge of town and another one about 2 miles out.


We were suppose to have a crest of 39.9 to 41 feet. They have now raised it to 41 feet on saturday. So the city called out volunteers again to raise the height of all the dikes another foot and put dikes in places that they never had to before. So far this week 2.5 million sandbags have been filled so far.


South of town about 8 miles there is a community that is being evacuated. The water is up to the houses. The sheriffs department has had to evacuate families by air boat.


The Mayor today was asked, what are our chances of beating this. His reply, "one out of four".


Saturday is the crest and it is expected to last 3 to 4 days.


I will try to get out and get pictures tomorrow afternoon. The water is now at 38 feet. We have just receive another 7 inches of snow. Only God knows where this will end up.







1 comment:

  1. Chris,

    I hope you don't think I'm being nosy or anything, but what church is that in the background of your photos here? Having lived in that area, I'm curious. I know Fargo has grown leaps and bounds since I've been there last.

    ReplyDelete